Wrestling, Anime, Manga & Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

match previews

Go down

match previews Empty match previews

Post by ashleysaro Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:11 am

Olympiakos v Arsenal: match preview

Read a full match preview of the Champions League game between Olympiakos and Arsenal

in Zico meets a celebrated manager in Wenger. The Brazilian, though, also has a respectable coaching career, having won trophies in Turkey, Uzbekistan and Russia.
Qualification for the knockout phase of the Champions League would arguably represent his greatest managerial achievement.
Key battle
Olof Mellberg v Theo Walcott: Despite seven years in English football at Aston Villa, Mellberg will be familiar with few of the players in the Arsenal squad other than Walcott, who has the chance to finally kick-start his season after recovering from a hamstring injury.
Walcott believes he can play as a central striker and help provide the answer to Arsenal’s current injury crisis.
Talking tactics
The match might have limited wider importance for Arsenal, but it will still be a huge occasion for many within the squad. Arsenal are expected to retain the 4-2-3-1 formation that Wenger has preferred over the past year, with Olympiakos unlikely to be adventurous as they seek the draw that would guarantee their progress to the knockout phase.
Who's saying what
Arsène Wenger
"I am happy that we absolutely do not have to win this game.
"All of the players that I have left have little knocks and need a rest, so I travel with a very young team.
"However, we have [Theo] Walcott who is coming back from injury, and [Alex] Song who was suspended against Stoke, so we should have a good mixture between young and experienced players."
Olympiakos (4-4-1-1): Nikopolidis; Raul Bravo, Mellberg, Zewlakow, Galitsios; Leonardo, Maresca, Dudu, Galletti; Oscar Gonzalez; Mitroglou.
Arsenal (4-2-3-1): Fabianski; Cruise, Silvestre, Bartley, Gilbert; Ramsey, Song; Merida, Wilshere, Walcott; Vela.
Referee: L Batista (Por).

ashleysaro
Admin

Back to top Go down