Wrestling, Anime, Manga & Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Campbell eyes move to Newcastle United

Go down

Campbell eyes move to Newcastle United Empty Campbell eyes move to Newcastle United

Post by PRASHBK Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:59 pm

Newcastle United are one of the preferred destinations for Sol Campbell when he settles his dispute with Notts County and is finally able to sign for a new club.

The former Tottenham, Arsenal, and Portsmouth star managed just one game for Notts County before he quit, but is ready to look at all his options - including one at a north-east outpost after only playing for big southern-based clubs.

ESPN Soccernet can reveal that Campbell has had talks with Newcastle's Chris Hughton, who has been installed as the club's permanent boss. With owner Mike Ashley set to release extra funds there will be the finance to recruit the former England defender, who will be a free agent once he has untied himself from his deal with Notts County.

Campbell told ESPN Soccernet on Friday morning: "I have been approached by several clubs, and yes, it is correct to say that Newcastle are one of them.

"People might be surprised to hear me say that I would be very interested in a move there, but I have my reasons. Also, Newcastle are a big club and could be heading back to the Premier League. It appeals."

West Brom are also in the hunt for Campbell, who has ruled out any move to Switzerland. He added: "I had an approach from FC Basle around thee months ago, before I went to Notts County, but then their manager Christian Gross was sacked. I also had an approach from Young Boys of Switzerland, but at the age of 35, perhaps Young Boys was not the right move! Seriously, they play on astroturf, also train on astroturf, so this was not for me."

Campbell has now firmed up his intention to go to a Football League tribunal to resolve his bitter dispute with Notts County - first revealed this week by ESPN Soccernet.

Campbell said on Friday morning: "I have spoken with Gordon Taylor and he will impress upon the League the urgency of the case and try to make a tribunal hearing a priority. If we can sort it all out at the tribunal I would hope to be playing within weeks from now.

"I am training every day with Arsenal, feel fit, as fit as ever, and now I really need some matches. But to sort out the mess at Notts County, a Football League tribunal seems to be the only way out."
PRASHBK
PRASHBK
Admin

https://wams.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down